Welcome to Saving Money for a Wedding. This blog was created to help you find GREAT money saving deals, learn about GREAT new products and details on how to plan the BEST wedding ever. Sit back and relax, I am glad to have you here.
Custom Search

Monday, June 22, 2009

Six Money Mistakes Newlyweds Make

There is a great Money article on MSN today about the "Six Money Mistakes Newlyweds Make".

They are:
1- Keeping Money Secret
2- Not having a Budget
3- Letting one of you take charge of all the finances
4- Having debt prior to the marriage
5- Not planning for an emergency
6- Sweating the Small Stuff

There is a great story about Sweating the Small Stuff, which had me cracking up since I shop like this wife- read on for a good laugh:

"Marriage is about compromises and simply letting some things slide. So she squeezes the toothpaste tube from the middle, and he doesn't put his socks in the hamper. Big deal. You'll both soon learn to pick your battles and save your energy for issues that really matter.

That goes for picking your money battles, too. I remember my first financial argument with my husband. We had been married two weeks, and we were doing our grocery shopping together. He wanted to buy the brand-name chocolate chips, and I felt strongly that we should save 75 cents and go with the off-brand chips. After a lengthy and heated exchange, we divided up the rest of the shopping list so we wouldn't have to look at each other for the rest of our outing. Then we drove home in a huff. Lesson learned: Never go grocery shopping when you're hungry, tired and irritable. Oh, wait. Financial lesson learned: Don't sweat the small stuff. Was the argument really worth 75 cents? No way."

Read the full article here on MSN.com

I sent this article to my husband and he already said to not worry about him ever buying a name-brand product, unless I have a coupon..We are off to a great marriage. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Good article! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the brand name argument- Yes, a $0.75 coupon would make this deal ok- haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 6 are great. Make sure to open a joint account and start using it together so you can both see what is being spent, I like the idea of keeping it all in a spreadsheet table.Iit works for my husband and I.

    ReplyDelete