This week there was a great article from Drs. Oz and Roizen on the Top 10 Benefits to Walking. I know I have talked about ways to make walking fun on a daily basis, but here are the tips that you can benefit from:
1. Fends off the #1 killer: Regular walkers have fewer heart attacks and strokes, have lower blood pressure, and have higher levels of healthy HDL cholesterol than couch sitters do.
2. Changes your RealAge -- pronto: As little as 90 days after starting a regular walking program, its age-reducing effects can be measured.
3. Dims your chances of diabetes: Thirty minutes of walking a day makes your muscles more sensitive to insulin.
4. Helps you kick the habit: Even just a 5-minute walk cuts down on cigarette cravings -- it engages your brain's emotion centers, unleashing mood-enhancing hormones that decrease cravings and take your mind off that cigarette.
5. Slims you down: Burn more calories than you eat, and -- voila!
6. Keeps you sharp: Physical activity nourishes brain tissue and stimulates its production of neurons, synapses, and blood vessels.
7. Reduces stress: Anyone who has come back from a walk in a different frame of mind than they went out with can attest to this.
8. Revs up your energy: Not only can a walk perk you up when you need it, but also it helps improve the quality of your sleep, so you're more energetic all day long.
9. Boosts your immune system: Walking regularly can lower your risk of arthritis, macular degeneration, and even cancer by an astonishing 50% compared with people who don't exercise.10. Keeps you going:Walking has the highest compliance rate of any exercise.
Read the full article here. Enjoy!